Expanded longarm….

With Grace discontinuing their Continuum 1 longarm frame, decided to extend my longarm from a 10 foot frame to a full 12 foot frame before the parts were no longer available. This also required extending my Luminess lighting too.

I purchased my 2 foot light extension directly from Grace Company. As always, it came quickly and was quite easy to install.

I purchased the 2 foot table extension from AllBrands.Com. The extension comes with the new 12 foot track and all the parts to extend not only the table but also the take-up rail, belly bar (aka backing rail) and the front rail. The upgrade was $599 no tax and no shipping. It was drop shipped from Grace Company and also came quickly.

In researching my longarm, I also discovered that Grace makes locking rolling casters for the Continuum frame. So I purchased the 8 casters which were also drop shipped directly from Grace Company.

In a matter of about a week all the parts were in my studio and ready for assembly. The first step was adding the extension to the table. This is the first time I have run into a problem when assembling a Grace product. The new 12 foot tracks were wider than my old 10 foot tracks. They slid easily into the new 2 foot extension but would not slide into the two 5 foot sections from my 10 foot original frame. Of course it was a weekend so required waiting until Monday to call Grace.

Before calling Grace, I used my micrometer to measure the difference between my old track and the new track. When I called Grace the following Monday, I gave them the measurements. Two days later, delivered to my door, were 4 new 12 foot tracks, no cost to me, that had been trimmed to my specs. They slid in perfectly!

So now that the frame assembly was completed it was time to add the new casters. We laid the table on it’s back, then removed the adjustable feet replacing them with the locking casters. Given the height of the casters, we also lowered my table to account for the change in height. Next, we turned the table up and started the process of adding back the carriage, belts, longarm, and encoders. Along the way we made sure all wheels turned, the belts were aligned, and the encoders were also working

Finally it was time to test the stitch out and do final adjustments to achieve stitch quality. When all the adjustments were finally completed, I was quite happy with the results. I used a very light color on top and a deep red in the bobbin.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s