I finished up my contributions to the community project by creating ‘dream catcher stockings’ for 700 foster children. For me Christmas is about ‘giving’. It means everything to me that these stockings will go to children and young adults who often do not have anything to call their own. In the end I sent 3 big stockings that I designed, digitized, and stitched out for the oldest children graduating out of foster care and into transitional adult housing. For the younger children I made 12 small stockings and 10 large stockings.
I was able to ship my Big Christmas stockings and documented instructions to Meaning of Life Designs last Friday. Now I am onto the second community project: as a collective group our goal is to make 700 Christmas stockings for foster children. I am making 14 of the smaller stockings. I prepped and cut all the materials yesterday (Sunday). The plan today is to embroider all of the stocking fronts. The last step will be creating the backing and putting the whole stocking together. These are due by December 1 so should have plenty of time.
Finished up my project – from design to digitizing I have learned a lot. Below are my finished products.
Yesterday was all about prepping to begin sewing and embroidering. Cleaned up digitizing, prepped all the materials, and got my files on the ScanNCut and Luminaire. The backs and fronts, to be quilted, are prepared along with the batting. The stabilizer is cut so that I can stitch out all the placement lines this morning. The 3 lining fabrics have been cut, pinned, and are also ready to sew today. I plan to quilt all three backs first, then embroider the fronts. I chose to keep my front designs separate files to allow for flexibility on future projects.
The Singer Featherweight Shop in Idaho has an auction the first Tuesday of each month. They generally have about 12 different featherweight machines that have been fully restored. The auction opens at eight and the bidding is fierce. They sell out in about 5 minutes. In September I did my first bidding on the site, rather than just watching the auction. My eye was on a featherweight 222k – the free arm version of the featherweights. To my joy and amazement, I actually won the machine I wanted first try! Here is my sweet beauty……
Currently designing 3 large stockings – 18” wide by 24” long. The fronts have nameplates where the stockings can have a customized name added. The front and backs have batting and the back is also quilted. I have also created 3 different designs to embroider on the stocking fronts.
Design 1: Stocking front gnome
Design 2: Stocking front Christmas Tree
Design 3: Stocking Front Penguin
Why from Month 08 to Month 10? Well someplace in the middle of Month 09 I lost track of the months we were working on. So I will need to loop back and finish the Month 09 project. For Month 10 the goal was creating an appliqué house with digitizing. This is our official last class for the course – though we are hoping Sarah will offer an advanced class. In Month 10, in addition to our monthly project, we are also working on a special project to give back to our community. I have started my house but put it on hold until we finish our community project.
Month 08 was all about digitizing spirals. The hardest part was knowing how to group as one builds the various examples. Not doing this created issues with combining shapes with unexpected results. The other piece was knowing to use ‘radius’ rather than ‘diameter’ when segmenting the circle. Anytime there are an odd number of segments always use ‘radius’. This month our product was documenting the process to create a bank of spirals.
July felt like a month where we really were demonstrating our cumulative learning. I gave myself grace for July. I started the month – July 1 with an emergency room trip. By Sunday, July 3, I went into surgery for an unexpected/anticipated ‘pacemaker’! I just finished myt 6 week mark.
I decided to focus on ‘Christmas’ for this project because I believe in eternal, love, joy, hope, and peace. My goal is to make this design a medallion center surrounded by 12 blocks reflecting the twelve days of Christmas. Most of my hooping for this project uses my 272mm x 408mm hoop. The only exception is my center design that uses my 200mm x 200mm hoop. I created 3 versions before I got the design placed successfully, including breaking my outer ribbon for July’s design. I ended up with 7 hoopings to stitch out, excluding the quilting.
Below are pictures of my first version, including cutting the applique. For the second version of the design, I tested the stitching without using my applique. For this test I used the ‘knife’ tool to ‘split’ the outer ribbon. It was much closer than my first stitch out but you can still see the ribbon has not fully lined up correctly. As I stitched this one, I revised the design a third time for my final version.
For the third design, to break the ribbon, I created a circle 22.5” in diameter. Next, I used the ‘12’ and ‘3’ clock positions and digitized an open shape, tracing along the curve from “12” to “3”. Next, I zoomed in and ‘reshaped’ the curve to match the 22.5” circle. Then, using the ‘circle layout’ tool, I replicated 3 times. Finally, I zoomed in to make sure the 4 arcs were laying on top of the solid ring. Finally, I was able to delete the initial 22.5” circle and changed the ‘4 arcs’ stitch type from single stitch to ‘single motif’. Below are images of my final design files, the applique cut using my ScanNCut SDX330D, stitchout test1, amd stitchout test2.
June was challenging for many reasons beyond class. I am happy to have been able to create the assignments. I will need to continue cleaning up and moving my connectors for a more continuous design. I am a longarm quilter and want to be able to create continuous motifs. I have one I created that includes freehand connector lines/swirls. I am hoping to adjust so I end up with one continuous design.