Category Archives: Sarah Vedeler

Month 07 – Digitizing & Design

July felt like a month where we really were demonstrating our cumulative learning. I gave myself grace for July. I started the month – July 1 with an emergency room trip. By Sunday, July 3, I went into surgery for an unexpected/anticipated ‘pacemaker’! I just finished myt 6 week mark.

I decided to focus on ‘Christmas’ for this project because I believe in eternal, love, joy, hope, and peace. My goal is to make this design a medallion center surrounded by 12 blocks reflecting the twelve days of Christmas. Most of my hooping for this project uses my 272mm x 408mm hoop. The only exception is my center design that uses my 200mm x 200mm hoop. I created 3 versions before I got the design placed successfully, including breaking my outer ribbon for July’s design. I ended up with 7 hoopings to stitch out, excluding the quilting.

Below are pictures of my first version, including cutting the applique. For the second version of the design, I tested the stitching without using my applique. For this test I used the ‘knife’ tool to ‘split’ the outer ribbon. It was much closer than my first stitch out but you can still see the ribbon has not fully lined up correctly. As I stitched this one, I revised the design a third time for my final version.

For the third design, to break the ribbon, I created a circle 22.5” in diameter. Next, I used the ‘12’ and ‘3’ clock positions and digitized an open shape, tracing along the curve from “12” to “3”. Next, I zoomed in and ‘reshaped’ the curve to match the 22.5” circle. Then, using the ‘circle layout’ tool, I replicated 3 times. Finally, I zoomed in to make sure the 4 arcs were laying on top of the solid ring. Finally, I was able to delete the initial 22.5” circle and changed the ‘4 arcs’ stitch type from single stitch to ‘single motif’. Below are images of my final design files, the applique cut using my ScanNCut SDX330D, stitchout test1, amd stitchout test2.

Class 6 – Digitizing & Design

June was challenging for many reasons beyond class. I am happy to have been able to create the assignments. I will need to continue cleaning up and moving my connectors for a more continuous design. I am a longarm quilter and want to be able to create continuous motifs. I have one I created that includes freehand connector lines/swirls. I am hoping to adjust so I end up with one continuous design.

Busy week filled with lots of projects!

This week was a very productive week! There was a ton of learning, quilt piecing, quilting on the longarm, embroidering, and even a new paint job on the house.

I finished up month 4 of my digitizing master class. Our project required using our Corel Design skills, Hatch embroidery digitizing skills, to creation of our cut files and embroidery design files. We then stitched out what we created. This month we are learning all about color.

My sweetie has been busy piecing his own quilts. When he finishes his quilt tops, he passes them on to me for the longarm. This week I quilted another ’fish’ themed quilt, a ”Christmas Doxie, and also a ’Touchdown Football’ quilt. (I will post pictures later today)

I was able to longarm my ”Little Red Wagon” quilt and finish up with binding. This was also a learning opportunity. For the first time ever, my machine threw the thread off the upper tension spring (of course when I wasn’t here watching) When I discovered it happened, it had completed two rows and sewn a pleat in the back. Yes, I really did pick out all the stitching. Since there was essentially no top tension, the bobbin thread was just laying on the back. This made for quick picking. Fortunately, I was able to place my zones again and am quite happy with the result. Thank goodness it was on my own quilt, I would have been panicked if it was someone else’s project.

My other project is my “Simply Dreaming Quilt” designed by Sarah Vedeler. I started this quilt right after my Mom passed away last year. I was able to work on Month 07, one of the outer borders. It was the perfect month because it is filled with lots of beautiful flowers. Mom and I used to spend a day in May visiting our favorite nursery together. With the one year anniversary of Mom’s passing, along with Mother’s Day, these beautiful bouquets remind me of our time together.

We also had our house painted this week – by a company and not us! This was a definite first – paying someone to paint our house. The last time we rented scaffolding, replaced siding, added cedar shingles, and painted. The crew that did the house pressure washed one day and spent two really long days painting. Love our new colors – navy, cream, and light gray!

Quilt so far… month’s 1-5, getting close to finishing quilting of the inner quilt

Month’s 1 through 4 were creating the embroidered applique blocks. Month 5 is quilting all the negative spaces (cream fabrics) for each of the 4 month’s blocks. I have done month 3, 4, and one half of month 2.

This is my first time using my embroidery machine to quilt within the hoop. Learning a lot about how to align, trace, size the designs. Also found my magnetic hoop works really well for ease of hooping. The only issue is when needing to replace a bobbin during stitch out. Because the quilt isn’t in a traditional hoop that is screwed tightly, it is tricky removing the hoop to replace the bobbin. Rather than playing ‘chicken’ with the bobbin, I make sure there is enough before I stitch out.

Hung it up on the design wall so I could actually see the whole quilt so far. It isn’t perfect but I am still very happy with my results so far.