Category Archives: Charity

Stockings finished and shipped off

I finished up my contributions to the community project by creating ‘dream catcher stockings’ for 700 foster children. For me Christmas is about ‘giving’. It means everything to me that these stockings will go to children and young adults who often do not have anything to call their own. In the end I sent 3 big stockings that I designed, digitized, and stitched out for the oldest children graduating out of foster care and into transitional adult housing. For the younger children I made 12 small stockings and 10 large stockings.

Stocking Project…..

I was able to ship my Big Christmas stockings and documented instructions to Meaning of Life Designs last Friday. Now I am onto the second community project: as a collective group our goal is to make 700 Christmas stockings for foster children. I am making 14 of the smaller stockings. I prepped and cut all the materials yesterday (Sunday). The plan today is to embroider all of the stocking fronts. The last step will be creating the backing and putting the whole stocking together. These are due by December 1 so should have plenty of time.

Quarantine Insomnia.. maybe this will help

New project, soft fleece, sleep masks.   I have insomnia to begin with and the lighter it is outside, the harder it is to remain asleep.   These will help to keep the light out…a little incense, soft music, and hopefully sleep all night!

Seriously though,,,, these are really fun.  I have avoided embroidering on fleece.  My other machine frustrated me because the thread would simply shred.  This new machine does an outstanding job.  I used a water soluble stabilizer on top to keep the stiches clear.  Without the topping, the stiches are lost in the pile of the fleece.   Below is a video  of my machine embroidering one of my first samples.  This is followed by pictures of the colors and designs I will be using for this batch.  When finished, I will have 30 of these soft little masks.


Baby bibs, Oh, Baby! …..

There seems to  be  a baby-boom on soon-to-be,  or newly  arrived, little bundles of love.  I had so much fun making these sweet little bibs.  My sweetie thought they  were so cute, he had me make some for a friend who is a retired police officer.

By  the time I was done, I ended up with 43 assorted colors and styles.   Each requires 2 pieces – which I cut with my AccuQuilt die.  With the die, I am able to cut 3 bibs at a time in just a few minutes.  The bibs come off the die ready to sew, no need to even pin.  I sewed around the outer edges, leaving a 1″ opening to turn right side out.   Before turning, I clipped all the curves so they would lay nicely when pressed.   To turn the bibs, I used my new favorite tool – hemostats – which made short time of turning small spaces.  I used my ball-point turning tool for pressing the edges outward, while pressing flat with the iron.  Each  opening was pinned and then I sewed a topstitch round the outer edges. The final piece, adding Velcro button tabs. I found heat setting the adhesive buttons with the iron affixes the buttons well to the bibs.  The Velcro is a safer option for baby for quick ‘break-away’, rather than a button.  Below are pictures of the process, followed by the finished little gifts.