Started our Blueberry wine yesterday.
- 25 pounds of frozen blueberries (5 – 5# bags)
- 8 pounds of sugar
- 2.5 tsp of Pectic enzyme
- 7.5 tsp of acid blend
- 2.5 tsp of yeast energizer
- 5 tsp of yeast nutrient
- 1 campden tablet (oops….should be 1 for every gallon. Just added 4 more….)
- Enough boiled and cooled water to dissolve sugar then add to bucket
Placed all blueberries in the straining bag and poured 1 gallon of boiling water over the berries. Covered with a towel, crushed berries over the next few hours to extract juice. Tied top of bag and pushed down into ferment bucket. Poured dissolved sugar over berries and crushed again. Topped us fermentor to 5 gallons. Stirred in all ingredients except yeast.
Started my yeast starter this morning
- Heated and cooled water to 95 degrees
- Poured water into 1 quart jar
- Added 1/2 tsp of sugar and pinch of yeast energizer (not nutrient). Stirring until disolved.
- Next sprinkled Lalvin K1-V1116 yeast on top of mixture in jar
- Placed paper towel over jar and held it on using rubber band
Will feed the starter every 2 hours with 1/4 cup warm water, 1/4 tsp sugar, and pinch of yeast energizer. We do that the next 24 hours.
- Brix: 21.5, PA 12.5%, S.G. 1.090