Put 8 gallons of water on to boil. Pitt and coarsely chop the 36 pounds of plums. Add them to the primary fermenter where 7.5 pounds of sugar has been dissolved with 2 quarts of boiling water. The fruit bag should be inserted and tied on the outside of the fermenting bucket. When finished chopping plums, add enough boiled water to bring to 6 gallon marking. Now wait for the temperature to drop to 70 degrees Fahrenheit before adding for a 6 quart batch the amounts shown in parentheses:
- 1.5 tsp. acid blend (9 tsp)
- 1 crushed Campden tablet (6)
- 0.75 tsp. yeast nutrient (4.5 tsp)
- 0.25 tsp. yeast energizer (1.5 tsp)
- 0.125 tsp. grape tannin (.75 tsp)
A yeast starter will be prepared and peptic enzyme will be added at that time
Next post….add ingredients and creating yeast starter….